A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.



St Mark’s Anglican Church
Cullen St, Nimbin
Contact: Lismore Anglicans  66213200

Worship Services

10.00am Holy Communion (4th Sunday)


St Marks church Nimbin

St Marks church Nimbin

St Marks Nimbin centenary

St Marks Nimbin centenary






Brief History

St Marks Nimbin

by Alan Shaw

St. Mark’s Anglican Church has been something of an icon, perched on the hill above Nimbin village in the Rainbow Region. And this year the old timber building is 100 years old.

To mark the centenary a celebration BBQ lunch was held on Saturday 19th September 2009, followed by a service of Holy Communion with The Right Reverend Keith Slater, Bishop of Grafton presiding.

Rev. Alfred Poole was the first Church of England minister from Lismore to visit Nimbin in 1891. His visit included the baptisms of four of the Frith children on 28th October in the family home, and the first service of Holy Communion on 1st November 1891 in a barn on the Thorburn property to the west of the village.

The next service was Carols By Candlelight (and kerosene lamp) several years later, also held in Thorburn’s barn, with Rev. H. Jobson officiating. Mr. Morton was the organist for several of his services.

By 1904, all denominations were holding their worship services in the new Nimbin Hall. Rev. A. Johnstone was the next minister to travel regularly from Lismore by sulky with his family to lead services, until Rev. F.R. Newton came to the district late in 1906.

After several years of fundraising by the congregation, St. Mark’s Church was finally constructed on 2 acres of land donated by Miss Annie Morton. It was opened in September 1909 by Bishop Cooper (Diocese of Grafton and Armidale), who also dedicated the church on 25th June 1911.

Furniture and resources were generously donated by many locals, including Mrs. J.S. Williams (hymn books); Mrs. O.R. Jones (linen); Mrs. W.S. Morton, Mrs. E.W. Morton and Miss Annie Morton (silver communion service), Messrs. F.G. Cullen (font), W.S. Morton (bishop’s chair), and the Parry family (pulpit). Lighting was provided by a carbide lamp until electricity came to the village. The Building Committee comprised Messrs. G. Blackman, R.T. Williams, W. Massey-Greene, R.E. Zouch and Rev. F.R. Newton.

Lay involvement has always been strongly encouraged, with lay-readers such as Messrs. Geo Parry, C.H. Pratt and T.A. Spurr leading worship services during periods of absence of ordained clergy.

A timber home built on land adjacent to the church was purchased by Rev. F.R. Newton in 1913. In 1919 he donated the house and land to the Parish and it became the Vicarage (rectory). The Parochial District of Nimbin, established in 1909, became the Parish of Nimbin in August 1919, with Rev. A.G. Moore as the first Vicar. The Vicarage remained the residence of successive clergy families until January 1975, with Lismore clergy being responsible for services from then. The Parish of Nimbin had ceased to be viable, and it was absorbed into the Parish of Lismore on 1st September 1981.

In a novel partnership between church and community, the Nimbin Community Gardens were established in September 2002 on church land adjacent to St. Mark’s by an agreement with Nimbin Aquarius Landcare Group and Nimbin Environment Centre, after negotiations with Bishop Philip Huggins and the Lismore Parish Council. Following a fire, the badly-damaged hall was relocated 50m further down the slope to a new site on church property, where it was renovated as an office and tool storage for the Landcare Group. This project remains a showpiece of Nimbin’s diverse culture.